Monday, April 22, 2013

#3 Final Project

For this week, some of the props and sets are being made. Beth and Karl and I have been making forward progress!

Beth and I went dumpster diving for some free cardboard all over the city. We had some standards when it came to cardboard picking. If it smelled weird or was kind of soggy, we left it. Kroger had the best dumpster full of cardboard because it was for recyclables only. We celebrated our cardboard haul with some Waffle House!

Now that I had some cardboard, it was time to make the sets. We have 4 scenes that needed sets, Egypt, Algeria, the jungle, and the ocean.  For Egypt, we made triangles for the Pyramids of Giza and have a setting sun. The market place in Algeria consists of boxes upon boxes. The jungle has elaborate trees with moss. And the ocean is basic waves complete with a silver plane! 

However, once we started making these sets, I felt they were too simple, even though that was the original plan. I tried to add more dimension by putting crumpled paper on the cardboard trees, but after painting a little to see if it looked better I started to get worried.

The sets looked like something for a 3rd grade play. They were a mix of simple shapes and some dimension, but it didn't look intentional. It looked like I didn't know what I was doing and that I was trying to make it look elaborate, but didn't know how. 

After an emergency group meeting, Beth and Karl assured me that all hope was not lost. We just needed to simplify things and make it look intentional. 

So now, the sets are still being worked on and hopefully they turn out! 







No comments:

Post a Comment