Monday, April 8, 2013

#1 Final Project - D4M - Proposal

For the final project in my Design for Media class, we are given an open assignment. I've teamed up with Beth Duboe and Karl Allsop.   I wanted to do something where I could explore my interest in set design and prop fabrication. I know Beth is also interested in that so it made sense for us to team up together. I know Karl has been looking for a way to experiment with lighting and color in video and what better way to do that than with 2 set designers around!

We gave our selves a perimeter of making a musical for the project since open assignments can be rather daunting at times. After searching through and watching many musicals we weren't satisfied. We all wanted to create something where we can exercise our creativity and most musicals have a set look to them which doesn't lead to much room for creativity. That's when Beth threw out the idea that we could do a music video starring her and possibly another talented individual. Karl and I both loved this idea. I love that it makes the project more personal and that we can create something that we truly want to create.

Beth sent us a list of songs that she's comfortable singing. Here are the top two songs:

Billie Holiday - Stars Fell on Alabama 

The Mills Brothers - You Always Hurt the One You Love



Both of these songs have strong imagery associated with them, which makes me excited! Also, I think they could work as duets if we wanted to include a second singer.

I've created a schedule for us to follow to help us stay on task. The project is due on the 5th week, May 9th.



Here are each of our roles. Keep in mind, some of the work will be shared.




Here are some inspirational sets and scenes:

Moulin Rouge (2001) - Awesome costumes, sets, props!

Chicago (2002) - Great lighting, makeup, set!

White Christmas (1954) - Love the sets, choreography, and costumes!


Stay tuned for more next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment