Monday, February 11, 2013

#7 Menagerie - D4M - Character Process


This is how I went about making the characters for the set. 
First, I gathered and looked at reference photos because I need them. It makes drawing your characters that much easier when there's something else to look at. I then sketched out the characters in my sketchbook lightly, that way I can make multiple lines until I find the right one. I use tracing paper to finalize my drawing and make the lines darker and bolder with a marker. Then I transfer it onto my watercolor paper. I make sure I'm using a "waterproof" marker and not a "water resistant" marker so that it doesn't bleed when I paint on it.







I lay down some flat colors with my round tip brush. I go in with some more detail with a smaller brush. Also, when water coloring, a hair dryer is your best friend. It cuts drying time down and let’s you get back to painting faster. I then cut out the figures and added some supports to them when needed. The standing figure needed a base of clay and a pencil spine to stay up. 





No comments:

Post a Comment