Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Tragedy at Emmitt Whistle's: Production Part 1

We had our first day of filming! I spent the day before with Phil, quickly trying to pull everything together. We only shot exterior scenes so that made my life a little easier.

This house that we're using is terribly great. The inside is old and a little stinky, but the roof, the front door, the door knobs, and the windows are all super modern. To make the windows look old, Phil suggested we adhere wooden dowels/moulding on the windows to look like window panes and it worked! We just used spray adhesive. I couldn't believe it was so simple.

My mom and sister were in town and they got to help out in the art department. I'm actually really glad they were there because I was short staffed in the art department. Ali, the costume designer, was also a huge help on set.

This is my first time being a production designer on a larger production. I've only ever worked in the art department on bigger productions or been the production designer on tiny films. I didn't really know how to do it, frankly. I wanted to keep looking in the camera monitor to see what everything looked like, but I wasn't sure if I should be doing that and I didn't really want to get in the way. I'm also always second guessing myself.

For the next shoot, my goals are to be more confident and communicate with Hunter (DP) and Drew (Director) more efficiently and even stick my nose in the monitor more.


Here's a behind the scenes film Eric Homan made from the shoot:

https://vimeo.com/110094932

Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment