Thursday, September 25, 2014

Tragedy at Emmitt Whistle's: Pre-Production Part 3

The breakdown has been finished and I'm learning Movie Magic which is a software designed for the production files. I'll be plugging in the files this weekend. The software will make the paperwork and organizational aspect of the film streamlined and efficient.

Breaking down a scene takes time, but is enjoyable. First, I go through a mark all the props named in the script, then note the wardrobe and hair, and then specific special effects. After I have all the obvious items listed I start to think about smaller details.

I'll start with Emmitt. I know he is around 40 years old, married, has a 6 year old, works in a mill, and is fixing the roof. If the story takes place let's say around 1950, that means he was born around 1910. This means he was too young to fight in the first world war, was a teen during the roaring twenties, an adult during the Great Depression, and probably fought in World War II. His son, Jasper,  is 6 or 7 years old, so that means Jasper was born in '44 or '45, right when WWII ended. Jasper is a Baby Boomer.

Does Emmitt have any injuries from the war? How would have living through two world wars, a time of excess, and a time of disparity have an effect on someone? Maybe he is very frugal, hard working, and bitter or maybe not.  What would a child born around 1910 be taught? What kind of environment was he raised in? How were women treated, what were proper manners, what types of things would he carry on him? All questions I ponder. I also take into consideration his economic status, class, race, etc. all things that make Emmitt, Emmitt.

This led me to add additional props to the breakdown like a wedding band (never stated, but a major detail), a war medal or something to signify his participation in the war, his handkerchief, etc. It's the little background elements that really bring the character to life, I think.


I also watched Raggedy Man, which really embodies the look we're aiming towards. It also stars Eric Roberts (Julia Roberts's brother) when he is young.







No comments:

Post a Comment